November 28, 2009

Giving Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving!

This year, our little weekend holiday was great. We spent Thanksgiving with both families. We went to Matt & Ashley’s for the first part of the afternoon, then went over to Jordan’s grandparents, where is extended family was gathered. Lots of horseshoe games, and chit-chatting. Then the traditional spread of the newspaper all over his grandma’s family room to look through all the ads and strategize a game plan of who’s going to what store. I slept in Friday while Jordan was off shopping bright and early with his mom. You would think I would be the one all into Black Friday shopping. I guess when you don’t have kids to shop for it’s not worth it to me to get up and join the world at 3 a.m. And who know’s what Jordan bought, he’s banned me from looking at our bank account. He was only going to go help his mom get things for his brothers, then it turned into a 6 hr. quest for who knows what.

The Shields, minus Trish & Garrett.

This season I have so much to be grateful for, and I just want to write a few down:

  • I’m grateful for Jordan. He’s so smart and determined in whatever he does. I’m glad he has ambition in life. I’m glad he supports and takes care of me like a husband should. He’s the person I would rather spend my evenings with. The one I can’t wait to talk to when I get home, and his dinner cooking skills are amazing :)
  • I’m grateful for my family, especially my parents. They have been through so much this year and their unwavering faith, and positive outlook can be seen for miles. They have taken the “new” normal and made it look so easy.
  • I’m grateful for my “in-law” family. They have welcomed me into their family and treated me like their own. They have made the transition so easy. They love and support us in all that we do. They’ve introduced me to new traditions that I’ve grown to love.
  • I’m grateful for our home. The opportunity we’ve had to buy one so young. It amazes me all the time that at night we come home to a house and I love it!
  • I’m grateful for my job, especially during this tough time. I’m extremely grateful for both our parents construction companies, that when they think this is the last job something else always seems to come up that gets them through the week.
  • I’m grateful for the gospel and our Savior Jesus Christ. For the Atonement and Restoration. The gospel is a foundation that I’m not sure where I would be without it. I still feel so inadequate but enjoy learning more each day. I’m grateful for the opportunity to serve. I love the fact that we only have to go a few blocks to church each week. I couldn’t imagine traveling long distance to church for meetings.
  • I’m grateful for a strong and healthy baby that is still growing. That I get weirded out every time he moves, but am grateful for the movement. I’m excited for what the future holds with the new little addition and the adventures to come.
  • Most of all, I’m grateful for our comfortable and simple life. The little things that mean the most.

No comments: