July 21, 2011

North Stake YW High Adventure

I survived our stake young women’s high adventure to Moab, UT. The stake decided they wanted to plan a trip especially for girls 14+, in addition to girls camp this summer. They figured since the girls complain that the boys "always get to do fun stuff," they wanted to give them the same opportunity. Each had to complete some personal progress goals and have 80% seminary attendance to go. And I was more than willing to skip girls camp to spend six days and five nights with these cute girls that went from our ward.
Kylie, Becca, Angela

I was so lucky I got to go as our ward’s leader. It may or may not be a once in a lifetime opportunity - I would love to go back with my husband and kids one day to do some of these fun adventures with them, so we’ll see.

Our schedule was jammed packed. We woke up early, went to bed late and were busy, busy in-between. I’m going to highlight our days, and add a few pictures along the way.

TUESDAY

I drove up a day early with the in-laws to set up camp at the Nordfelts cabin.
 
WEDNESDAY

We spent the morning preparing some camp-sites for the girls to spread out and set up the outdoor kitchen. By early afternoon, all the groups of girls started arriving.

We had dinner, and a devotional by Bishop Stewart and went to bed.

THURSDAY

We went target shooting, on a walk to hunt dinosaur tracks, and a nature hike through the forest. That night we went on a hike through streams flowing from the Power Dam to waterfall ponds. The Dam was busy with tourists and scout groups, who quickly turned around when they saw the sea of girls headed for the waterfalls.

 
 Angela, with Jordan's cousin Nicole. They are both such sweethearts.
 That's a HUGE dinosaur footprint at their feet. It was so cool to see their tracks everywhere.
FRIDAY

We went white water rafting 11 miles down the Colorado River, then the stake rented out the local Moab Rec Center so we could go swimming and the girls could shower.
 
The first 7 miles were awesome on the river. We pretty much rocked the river, had some ragging splash fights and flipped some other rafts in the process. It was so much fun and I think all the girls had a blast. Halfway through we stopped at this restaurant on the river and had a great buffet lunch.
The last 4 miles of our rafting experience was more on the adventurous side. The winds picked up, the fun and games were over and it was strickly business. We rowed the entire way and endured some intense rapids until take-out beach. White water rafting was definately my favorite activity of the entire trip and I can't wait to do it again... and again.
SATURDAY

We hiked 3 miles roundtrip to the Delicate Arch in the Arches National Park. This is the famous arch that’s on the Utah license plates. I was expecting it to be a strenuous hike, and it wasn’t easy but not as hard as I had imagined it to be. We hiked it like champs, and the view along the way was amazing.
 
After lunch we hiked 3 miles roundtrip to Corona Arch. This arch sits just outside Arches National Park, and the stake had arranged for any of the girls and leaders who wanted to, the chance to repel. Now, I‘ve repelled before so I had imagined going-in that it wouldn’t be that big of a deal. I was ok, sorta, until we had to go on the backside of the arch and rock-climb straight up the 150+ feet. That part didn’t go so well... I cried. Hysterically. Maybe hyperventilated just a little. I did make it up the climb. Barely. But not without lots of tears. Tears that started before it was even my turn. Rest assure, I conquered the free fall repel, checked it off my bucket list and will only be a spectator if ever given the chance again.
 
 
 
 

That night the stake rented out the Moab Rec Center again for swimming and showers. The pool was so nice and relaxing after 6 miles of hiking in the hot tempatures.
This is the rosey cheek me. I am a white girl. I am one of two colors... white or red. No in-between. I have never, will probably never, and don't care (anymore) to ever tan. My cheeks were rosey red all week from just being outside. It's lovely. My freckles were in full bloom. But I was so delighted with myself. I applied sunblock like a mad woman and I didn't burn, not even a little. That's a record, considering I'm usually the one who's a lobster the first day at the beach.
This is the majority of our group "B", minus a few. We were all split up into groups to do the activities and it was so fun to get to know the girls from Hidden Canyon and Mountain Shadows. We love them.

SUNDAY

We went to church in the Castle Valley Branch. They normally have about 6-10 in attendance each week. So to have well over 100ish was quite the change for them. We provided the speakers, and priesthood for sacrament meeting and a lesson for young womens. It was a great meeting to set the tone for the rest of the day.

That evening we had a great testimony meeting... and I’m grateful for the opportunity I had to go on this amazing trip planned and experience hard things with the girls that I serve in young womens. Many prayers were said during this trip, blessings were given and I felt first hand the peace and comfort from my Heavenly Father throughout the week.

MONDAY

I was more than ready to come home. I missed Jordan. I missed Carson. Being away from them was hard. I didn't really sleep, and I'm pretty sure I was the first one up and ready to go for the day. Jordan was awesome. He managed being a single working dad for a week. I feel so lucky to have a husband who supports me in my calling, when missing work, and being away from home was definately a sacrifice for us - he is always more than willing to step up and take on the extra and that's one of the many reasons why I love him.

2 comments:

ashley said...

WHITE WATER RAFTING IS ON MY BUCKET LIST. JEALOUS.

Janell said...

WOW! This trip sounds like a true adventure! I love rafting and I love hiking in Southern Utah. It's like another world down there. I'm glad you survived! And more importantly, I'm glad Jordan and Carson survived without you:)