July 2, 2014

Tour de Testimony 2014

The group in downtown Salt Lake touring and visiting church history sites on Sunday afternoon. 




















When the stake young men's bike ride crept up on the calendar and the planning process began, I supported Jordan in his decision to train and ride. He never contemplated whether or not he wanted to go, because in reality I truly believe he would have never chose to ride this ride! That's one of the qualities I love about him. He knows that sometimes it's not about him but more about an example he's setting to those he leads. He loves the young men of this stake and knew that if he was going to encourage and expect them to sacrifice the time, energy and endurance it took to complete such an activity, he couldn't exactly stand by and watch but had to do it along side of them too! The training was a lot (for someone like Jordan who has never rode biked a day in his life). My husband was gone every other Saturday from January to June for all the stake training rides. He rode on his own during the week. He planned and coordinated a 7-day trip (along with his awesome counselors and committee members) with crazy details of riding groups, sleeping accommodations, food, support vehicles, state and city permits, and who-knows what else for over 100+ riders and support staff. It was a big undertaking that some nights I wondered if he'd ever get off his phone or not be responding to emails.


Now this insane bike ride was 500 miles riding from Salt Lake City, Utah back home to (North) Las Vegas, Nevada over the course of 5 days, riding 70-130 miles/day. I hardly talked to him the whole trip. He was exhausted and also super busy with everything that was going on all-day everyday. They had some hiccups, bumps, bruises, road-rash, note-worthy crashes, but overall things went over well. I know Jordan was so excited to finish! He enjoyed the experience and it's something he'll always remember and was glad to be apart of!!







Carson and his little buddy Nixon tagged along with their grandpa's (who both serve in the stake presidency together) to go see the riders along the way. Carson was so excited he got to see his dad, and was talking my ear off about it the next day. I love the little things that others do that means so much to my little kids.



I think this experience taught and blessed me as a wife just by observing more than him as the one serving. I learned that it's impossible to make everyone happy, and you just do the best you can. I learned to never question the decision of a priesthood leader but rather have a supportive attitude and go with it- most times their are more details you'll never know. I've learned that being a president/ bishops wife is hard in every way and I have way more compassion for them now. I'm in awe of Jordan and how he takes service in the church seriously. He gives it 110% and is a great example to our kids. They see him get ready for church in a white shirt & tie, go to meetings often without complaint and takes the time to teach them simple gospel principles. For this, I'm truly grateful. I know they really look up to him and his example.
We are on our way to the church to see the riders come in. Carson told me that his dad said he could ride his bike to meet him and insisted I be his "support" vehicle. It seriously was the cutest thing ever!

We waited a few hours at the church for them to finally all ride in together. It was fun mingling with others, and making welcome home posters and signs!
It's great to have Garrett & Trisha! They love our kids like their own and are so supportive of our family and they things we do -- and by default they equally love supporting our ward/stake family too.


Now, the stake announced ANOTHER ride... this time in Yellowstone next summer. So the planning for that one, is well underway. Lucky him.

No comments: