I have probably been talking Jordan's ear off non-stop since I got home. I loved girls camp. It was everything I remembered it being from when I was in Young Womens except it is so much cooler going as a leader!
When I was called a short 7 weeks ago, I knew I was in for it. I've been to Camp Stimson and I actually knew how to start a fire but they really wanted me to be responsible for the spiritual enlightenment of the girls well being for a whole week? Alright, bring it on. We took up 6 awesome girls, one being a non-member friend. So yes, 6 girls equals only setting up three sleeping tents and one supply tent - holler! Out of 12 wards, we by far had the smallest bunch. But I would take these girls that had no attitudes, zero drama, all got along, and did everything we asked of them any day of the week.
The stake theme was North Stake University and every ward had a different major. Our ward choose Pre-Med, so we were the doctors at camp. Which ended up being a perfect fit for the weeks events. The YM Pres decided tearing some ligaments in her ankle playing soccer a week before camp was a cool thing to do. I prayed it was broken so they could slap on a cast and call it good, but apparently I wasn't loud enough. It caused some late night laughter about the anxiety of some for her attendence, but I'm glad she decided to ruff it and still come up to be with the girls. We got special riding priviledges in the Gator, so it was definitely a bonus!
I got some feedback from the girls that last year they didn't think it was 'spiritual' enough. I was so nervous thinking of spiritual ideas and lessons that they would actually enjoy doing and listening too. Girls aging 12 to 15 can talk til there's no tomorrow but their attention span is seriously like a toddler. It brought tears to my eyes during testimony meeting to find out that the spiritual activities I planned and made them do everyday was their favorite part of camp.
Next year I'm making a sign in my camp that reads, "Yes, I'm Sister Shields, and sure I'll braid your hair." I became camp hair braider. Word spread fast. I had to have braided like 100 girls hair, some more than once, but apparently I can do it tight so they can sleep in it and in the morning it comes out curly. I do them a little different too, with zigzags and swirls. But it's a fun talent I have. I got to know so many cute girls in the stake with the funnest personalities.
Being up there as a leader you develop a love and connection with those girls. It makes me realize as a youth how vulnerable they are. I desperately wanted to take them under my wing and be the best example for them. I hope and pray they felt the spirit as much as I did. It was such a blast. And since once you're called, it's pretty much a curse. I'm totally excited to go next year.
I don't have any pictures. I was having too much fun, I never took my camera out. But I will bum some off the girls and post them when I can.
3 comments:
Watch out you are in YW for forever! Camp Director is really fun...I did it for two years!
When I come see you, will you braid my hair ;) hehe we'll see
Iam glad you had a good time. I am sure you were the girls favorite leader.
Post a Comment