March 22, 2010

Little Family of Three

Carson Peter Shields
March 19, 2010
7:53 a.m.
8lbs 9oz   20 in.


Carson finally made his debut on attempt induction number two. I was having sporatic and irregular contractions since leaving the hospital but nothing to think I was going into labor. I kept crossing my fingers every time they would begin that hopefully they would get more intense and closer together but then they would stop. I made an appointment to see my Dr. on Thursday but he was certain I would go by then. Little Carson just had other plans, because by Thursday, still no baby. But at my appointment my Dr. asked if I wanted to try again and to me, there's no way an induction could fail twice a week apart, so after my appointment, off to the hospital I went.

Jordan was finishing up working. My mom got me all checked-in ready to go, then had to tend to Ashley (also in labor having baby - it was a busy day for Grandma). They started pitocin around 2pm. My mother-in-law Terri came to be with me. She was an awesome labor contraction coach, letting me know when to breathe and when they were going down. She was a huge help. Then Jordan arrived in time for me to get my epidural - I was so happy I was progressing enough to get that! Ok, but no one told me it was a huge needle in my back. I totally thought they just hooked it up to the IV.

I continued to progress through the night. My mom and Jordan's parents came by later to hang out too. Labor was long and intense but I was nicknamed Noodle legs by the nurse. I think the anesthesiologist gave me a little too much relief because I could not feel my legs or feet for the life of me. It was the weirdest feeling to have zero control.

Did I mention I had to be on oxygen for more than half the labor
and I was throwing up in between pushes? Miserable.

Carson was ready to come around 3:30 a.m. The nurse called the Dr. at 4 and he said to have me slide for an hour and then start pushing since Carson was still sitting high. It was a waiting game. I started pushing at 5 and continued for two and half hours. It was so intense and the hardest thing I've EVER had to do in my life. My Dr. decided to come check on me before rounds and luckily he did. I wouldn't say all my pushing was in vein but Carson was twisted and stuck at an angle so the Dr. had to do some munipulating and manual turning in order for the little guy to come. After the most INTENSE 20 minutes of my life, Carson was out and about with the help of the vacuum and the umbilicord wrapped a few times around his foot (no wonder he wouldn't drop!).


It was hard and my labor was rough. And I feel like I've been hit by a bus but our baby is beautiful. I just keep looking at him and can't believe he came out of me. We've had so much fun with him so far. It's funny because he's a sqiurmer and constant wiggler. So I keep telling Jordan that totally doesn't surprise me since he would never stop moving in my stomach. He's such a good baby, so content and even-keeled. He has the biggest hands and feet with the longest fingers. We are so happy to have him in our family. He makes me smile everytime I look at him, even at 2:30 in the morning.


We came home from the hospital Saturday night and have been adjusting to our new life as parents ever since.

My two boys are so cute!
And he's already watching college basketball with dad.

10 comments:

Kara said...

He is so cute, Jenn! I can't wait to hold him. Congrats, again!!
And you totally made me laugh when you said you thought the epidural was hooked up to the IV. Hahaha! If only...

Cardalls said...

oh the needle in the back isn't so bad once it gets rid of the pain. things you wish you would have known.... :)

He is adorable and I'm so happy for you, but so sorry labor was so terrible! Can't wait to see him!

Knudson Family said...

Jen, so glad he got here safe and sound! He's adorable and you and Jordan look like two happy parents. Enjoy the tinyness.

Darci Buhl said...

You're a MOM! So exciting. Sorry your labor was such an ordeal...but at least its over and you have a cute baby to show for it! Congrats!

D'On Marx said...

That's awesome! We are so proud of you guys. Congrats on the little guy. He's a cutie.

Sheree Flick Photography said...

I have been stalking your blog non stop to see this little guy and to hear your story. Congratulations Jenn and Jordan, he is a doll!! You totally have me nervous now! :)

Unknown said...

He's so stinkin cute I already love him to pieces! I wish I weren't at work so I could come snuggle with him. Don't be surprised if I'm knocking on your door all week or show up Friday around noon since I'm only working half a day!

Sara Bingham said...

ah yes, the "hit by a bus" feeling. i used the exact phrase after having ethan. sorry girl. it will pass. and i TOLD you to ask for the epidural before you actually needed it! its really painful to have a giant needle stabbed in your back while having intense contractions.

anyway, baby carson is so cute, and its breaking my heart that i cant just walk over & see you & him.

i think we're coming for mothers day though, will you still be on maternity leave?

Jared and Pansy said...

Yay for cute baby boys who do things on their own time and not their mommy's time. Glad he is finally here!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenny Lynn!!! You are the toughest girl I know!!! And he is simply perfect. TOTALLY worth everything. You are such a sweet family :)