October 3, 2013

An Ode to the Jansport

I am finally going to retire my trusted and well-LOVED backpack. It has been my constant companion since 7th grade and accompanied me through two middle schools, three different high schools, four college campuses, dozens of road trips and lent a hand as my Disneyland "diaper bag."


It has been my constant education reminder, and I can not even begin to describe the feeling of pure joy to not have that "need" any more. In August, I finally accomplished one of a few REAL goals I have set for myself. I finished my undergrad classes and graduated from UNLV. I'm excited to walk and celebrate in December! It has been one of the most challenging and difficult things I have ever done in my life. This week I received my diploma in the mail, and it instantly became so real! I am so relieved that the stress, time and weight on my shoulders to endure to the end is finally completed. It feels so good.


I have a strong belief in continuing education. I think college is extremely important, and I strongly want to encourage my kids to strive for higher education. My parents were so supportive, encouraging and helping me financially every step of the way. Jordan has been awesome too. He's never complained once about my studying, testing, crying, night classes. It took so much longer than I ever imagined; 8+ years, a marriage and two kids. I wanted to give up and quit countless times!
Oh, Greenspun Hall. We spent so much time together.

The number one question I get now is: What are you going to do with your degree? Well, to that I say nothing. I'm really enjoying the opportunity I have to stay home with my kids. I consider my degree a security blanket, that if I ever needed to enter the workforce to support my family and children, I've only enhanced my employment and marketable abilities that much more. I do however think often about if my education is truly done. When Jordan graduated he told me matter-of-factly that he would never step foot in school again and his Bachelor's was good enough for him. I would totally consider going on to grad school at some point, so we shall see what the future holds. For now, I'm totally ecstatic, happy and content being done!

2 comments:

Janell said...

Well done, Jen! Not an easy task with a husband and two kids to care for. Congrats to you:)

Kim Marx said...

The graduation is super stupendous. I am touched by the backpack, perhaps it should be bronzed? It is as much a part of your image as the collection of hoodies. I remember purchasing that backpack because at that time JanSport was top name twice as expensive and I couldn't see why a no name brand wouldn't be sufficient. You whined and cried and insisted that this was a 'need' not a 'want'. Thank you for getting my money's worth out of it.