May 31, 2012

Spring/Summer Update.

We are so excited for summer around here. It's been a busy Spring, and I'm ready for the hopeful slow-down of the summer months. Schools coming to an end, that means I won't feel obligated to sub because the money is so easy. I really liked my long term gig at Centennial, but not-so-much teaching 3rd grade the rest of the year. Elementary is just not my cup of tea, those teachers do not get enough credit. Teaching little people is hard work.

Spring semester for me at UNLV is over, thank goodness. It was by far one of my hardest semesters. I don't know what I was thinking taking four 400 level psych classes, but I finished and passed and now it's over. I'm taking some summer classes too, and Session I ends tomorrow. I take some in Session II, then have a baby. I'm just grateful for pell grants to pay for my last year of schooling. Being poor has it's upside.

Carson loves the pool, and swims constantly. He would swim all-day, every day if I let him. That is one major perk to living at the Shields. It's so convenient to throw on a swimsuit, walk out back and jump into heavenly temperatured water. The only downside is my poor white boy's skin. He did not get blessed with Jordan's tan-ness. His little cheeks and nose just burn red like his hair.


We've started inviting friends over for swim dates. It's fun to watch Carson interact with children his age. They laugh, play and fight. I'm not sure Jaxon knew what to do when Carson swam up behind him, bear hugged him and wouldn't let go. They just kept swimming around clinged together.
Carson and Jaxon
I fell into a job in April doing some legal work from home for an attorney I used to work for. It was only suppose to be for a couple weeks, while he transitioned to a new firm, but has somehow ended up into a stay at home gig, that I'm happy to do for the extra income. :) It's so nice and flexible - I love it. One day I needed to do something at the office for a couple hours, so I took Carson along. He was so good to watch Mickey while I worked.


Saturday mornings we get up and work out in the yard. Carson loves to be outside, and especially if he's helping grandpa and daddy. He's helping daddy "moo the ahhsss", which means "mow the grass."


We have good laughs at his pronunciation skills. One afternoon, Carson kept telling me he wanted iiiiccee. So I thought, Rice or Ice? He really likes rice but we weren't eating any at the time, and I showed him a box in the pantry and he didn't want that. He's been wanting ice in his drinks lately, so I showed him the ice maker and asked if that's what he wanted. No again. He kept running back to the cupboard (that holds board games) and yelling, "iiiiiiiiiccccccccceee."  It took a couple seconds, then dawned on me... he wanted "DICE." I couldn't believe it. I just laughed and got the cup of dice down off the top shelf. I swear I feel like I'm playing Mad-Gab when I'm trying to communicate with him sometimes.
Carson wanted to watch Grandpa trim the palm trees
He likes to "whhaa-ddaaahhh" with the hose
After the yard work is done, we run our usual Saturday errands - bank, costco/sams club, car washes or whatever. I was getting gas at Sams Club and figured I'd just run through the car wash real quick instead of waiting at Freddy's. I didn't know Carson would be so terrified. He cried out in hysteria. Poor guy did not like the sprayers at all.


How quickly his mood changed when I stopped for a slurpee and reeces. 


Friday night is date night. We almost always take Carson. Partially, because I'm a poor planner and don't get a sitter but he's fairly well behaved so we don't mind bringing him along. He's recently graduated from a high chair to booster seat, and I was cracking up when he kicked back and propped his feet up like he owned the place. Oh Carson, how your life is going to change when Baby B arrives.

Our ward had a blockparty over Memorial Day weekend. They had fun little carnival games for the kids. Carson won all sorts of prizes, that we've been laughing and playing with ever since.

No comments: