October 22, 2012

Making Strides

Recently, my mother in law Terri was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her office, Adaven Pediatric Dentistry, quickly organized themselves to walk in the Making Strides 5k Breast Cancer Walk a couple weeks ago and invited us along. We were so excited to walk in honor and support Jordan's mom that has cared and supported us all these years.


Pete, Terri, Vicki, Trisha, Garrett, Jenn (Brynlee), Jordan (Carson)
Nicole, Lance, Ashley, Ryan
The Shields Family
Pete & Terri, Trish & Garrett, Jenn, Jordan (Brynlee & Carson)
PINK LADIES






Words will never be adaquate enough to express my love and gratitude for Terri. She is so wonderful and amazing in so many ways. She has been a great mother and welcomed me into the family five years ago without any hesitation. She listens, offers comfort and advice when needed. I feel so blessed from being able to be around her so much this last year. I've been able to build upon our relationship with such love for her. She's taught me so many things about cooking, baking, how to not be a procrastinator, the gospel, and life without even knowing it. She's really straight-forward, funny and sarcastic.

This week she underwent a double mastecomny and removal of lymph nodes that tested positive for cancer. In the coming weeks and months she'll undergo chemo and radiation to begin her road to being a survivor. Her faith in the gospel is unwavering and is so apparent in all that she does. I'm grateful for her perfect example of Christ-like love and how to be happy and positive even when it seems nearly impossible. My children have an amazing grandma in Terri who loves and cares about them more than anything, gets down on the ground and plays with them, and will be their number one supporter (and loudest cheerer/refereer at their sporting games). I just love how Carson lights up everytime he sneaks up on grandma to give her bedtime kisses... she's so surprised everytime.

2 comments:

Janell said...

This post brought me to tears Jen. My sister is everything that you said. What a great example she is to many people. Go Terri!! With her stubbornness she's gonna kick cancer in the butt:)

Manda said...

I hate cancer!! I don't know why it exists and why great people get it. Even after a year of my dad being in remission I still wonder. We (well Ryan because I can't) fasted for her on Sunday and she is in our prayers!