June 24, 2008

Being The Worst

I’m not the best driver on the roads. Quite frankly, I’m not sure how I even passed that test a short five years ago, but seriously, the valley freeways don’t make it any easier for me to try and break my bad habits.

Every night after work I get on Summerlin Parkway from Buffalo and stay in the same lane to exit to 95 North. I don’t have to merge, I’m already in the right lane. But everyday I cringe while I brace myself that someone else trying to merge to go North doesn’t sideswipe me. Turn your head, use your mirrors people.

Because I drive this stretch of road Monday through Friday, and sometimes on Saturday (only to venture back to Cafe Rio!) I know that the curve to merge onto 95-North always gets backed up so I’m purposely not going 65mph stupid Green Honda Civic, get off my butt.

I love how Las Vegas is a fun, vibrant place to be. But why does it have to have the poorest planned freeways in the US. We spend more tax dollars on afterthoughts. Oh crap, a million people moved here last summer, lets add one lane to fix it, so by the time that’s done ten years later, two more million have moved here, oh no, now we need carpool lanes.

Carpool lanes. Great idea. I’m really a fan! But they are so half planned here. If you’ve ever been in California, Arizona, now those are awesome thoughtout carpool lanes. They at least stretch the w.h.o.l.e. length of a freeway, not just the mid-section. Carpool lanes that you know when its appropriate to use them because your scared of getting caught with those huge fines otherwise. The concept of carpool lanes are new to many. Lesson learned, you HAVE to have more than yourself in the car, you all by your lonesome and late for an 8:00 o’clock meeting does not make you privileged. I’m always late, you don’t see me breaking the law, other than the obvious speeding. Be courteous.

Now constant construction just gives me a headache. To think of the disaster I-15 is going to be, oh my. I’m not exactly sure how I feel about this ‘solution’ government geniuses have come up with putting barrier type lanes starting at Charleston and ending somewhere past Russell for those traveling north and south restricting them from exiting. I assume its suppose to help those wanting to travel the length of 1-15 that don’t intend on exiting towards the strip but I can only imagine the granny coming in from California merging into these barrier lanes without notice and then be thrown through a tailspin when she can’t get off for ten miles. I would be pissed.

I wish I had the music to “I’m Sorry” Mark & Mercedes chimes us with. But I’m sorry to all of you I have rear-ended in the past. I’m sorry for not paying attention because I’m text messaging. I’m sorry for being impatient and swerving around you. I’m sorry to Jordan who has to listen to a passenger seat driver, I suck at that. And I’m sorry for being so irritated at Las Vegas’ worst drivers because I’m so guilty of being one too. But the next Las Vegas Metropolitain Police Officer that pulls me over on Grand Teton is seriously going to get an ear-full! I just might go to jail. That road is as wide as Jones and as busy as Buffalo, why on Earth is the speed limit only 25 mph.

5 comments:

Audrey Taylor said...

You are hilarious. Ben would really appreciate this kind of feedback as he works in the transportation division at an engineering firm.
I know I must seem like a rude driver because I have to go in and out of lanes without turn signals (they're broken.)

Anonymous said...

Im sorry you rear-ended those people to($$$$$),and let me see Grand Teton thats right there is a SCHOOL on that street. SLOW down Dad

{Jordan & Jenn} said...

Whatever Dad. I learned it from you Mister, I drive 95 on the freeway, passing on double lines, while pulling a boat trailer.

Jen said...

Hey girl I'm so glad you checked out my blog. I wish I was better at writing all the juicy stuff like you. I think Vegas drivers are the worst too! Hello blinkers people they are a tool use them.

Anonymous said...

I DO THINK DAD AND ASHLEY ARE IN THE Grand Teton PULLED-OVER CLUB
MINE IS HORSE AND I WOULDINT HAVE TO SPEED IF EVERYONE MOVED ON MY WAY HOME AND WHAT NTHE HECK WHO CARES THARES A SCHOOL KENNY GUINN IS ON FLAMINGO A 45 STREET VALLEY IS ON EASTERN A 45 STREET G.T. IS WIDER THAN EASTERN FOR THOSE OUT OF TOWNERS - MATT