December 21, 2008

Oh.. Christmas Tree, Oh.. Christmas Tree

To me this is funny, and I couldn't help writing it down just so in a few years I can look back and have a little chuckle.

Last Christmas, Jordan & I were married a few short weeks. We wanted to get a tree. I wanted to buy a fake one so we could re-use it every year, but Jordan persisted that he loved the smell of a real one, it's just not the same not going to the treelot and picking one out, etc. So we got a real one.


Lights. White or Colored? I didn't know it was brain surgery. I had gone out and bought a bunch of matching ornaments that were red, white & silver with like a candy cane theme. So I said white lights, but Jordan wanted colored. I won, we got white, colored just didn't match.

Now - fast forward to this year. We went and got a real tree and came home to set it up. I was so excited to decorate it together while we watched the NFR. Jordan got down our ornaments from the garage, we opened the bins, and then the disappointment sets in. . .

. . . Jordan realized that last year "he let me win" and we had white lights for the tree. What? I was so confused. The excitement was over. Jordan watched the NFR while I put white lights on the tree myself, and hung the cute ornaments I picked out. I went to Michaels to buy some ribbon for the bow on top, and came back with some red glittery poinsettia flowers to add to the tree too. I was overly excited about the flowers, Jordan was silent. Not really a good sign but I just kept on doing my thing.




After a while, I got him to talk. Boy, did it all come out.



He finally got the courage to tell me my tree was... TOO GIRLY, and he especially hated the FLOWERS. It was great. Instead of breaking down into tears, I started laughing. Really, he hates my tree because it's too girly? I just couldn't stop laughing. And he really really wanted colored lights. Dang it, I didn't get the memo Christmas tree lights are suppose to be colored. So why didn't he just be as persistent with the lights last year as he was about getting a real tree. His reasoning: we were newly married and he didn't want to rock the boat. So since we've been married a little longer, it's totally ok now to call me out on how he dislikes my tree.



Haha, oh my. It's fun to experience new things. And I hope that in the years to come, I always find our little misunderstandings/communication skills as comical as this one. It takes time blending two family traditions into one new fam - but we've done good so far, except with the tree decorating so next year we'll have colored lights, no flowers, and lots of random ornaments to make our tree F-U-N, and not P.R.E.T.T.Y. I'll have to make a wreath or something now with my glittery flowers.

4 comments:

Kara said...

That is a very pretty tree.

I'm with Jordan on the colored lights and a real tree.

It's great how much you get away with when your dating/newly married, but then after a year or two all of a sudden annoyances start coming out.

Cardalls said...

We now have a fake tree with white lights so that argument is over (We used to trade off years). But the outside is now colored lights...I'm glad you could laugh about it! It's all about the comprimise!

Jill said...

my husband wants the traditional colored lights and all the ornaments he had growing up, I want the white lights with the matchy girly ornaments....I win. He is in charge of decorating outside and I get the inside. After 4 years he has given in.

Jason & D'On Marx said...

THat's pretty funny. I can't wait to see what next years tree looks like.