December 23, 2008

Sorry, mom.

We have a tv downstairs, and a small one in our room. By small I mean, you have to squint to see it from our bed, and it's still blurry. So ideally you want control of the remote for the downstairs tv to enjoy any show. I married a football, college basketball, ESPN watching husband, hence, I never have control of the remote.

This past summer when Jordan's labtop took a dive we had to buy a computer. I don't know anything about computers except that my mom has the sweetest one where you can watch tv on it. So we paid the extra $ to install the tv tuner, so then I can watch tv in the loft! Well it's nice, except I could never get the remote that came with the computer to work. So one night last week, I had enough and got on google to start figuring out how to get my dang remote to work. Come to find out the Geek Squad gave me a remote that isn't compatible with Windows Media Center, for a PC. What the heck. No remote equals getting up every time I want to switch the channel.

Ahh, more searching on google I determined what type of remote I needed. It's $50! Not in the budget this month, or next month. I'm determined. So, then I call my computer savvy mom and ask her if she has an extra remote for her computer. She doesn't, but since she's hooked up her computer to a flat screen tv in her office she doesn't need hers, so she's been kind enough to let me borrow it. I went and got it, totally excited I now have a remote for my own tv. Get home, all ready to be a couch potato, and the stupid thing doesn't work! I call my mom in desperation and oops, she forgot to give me the sensor thing that you hook up too.

Last night while I was over, I finally remembered to get the sensor, but since my parents weren't home -- and I didn't know what it looked like -- she tried to explain the thing to me over the phone. And this is what she said, "it's three inches long, 1 in' wide, plugged into the back of my computer, grey and blue, and has some cords hanging out."

I went to the back of the computer, and pulled out this:

That is a pretty close description to what she described to me over the phone and so I went on my merry way. I got home and this doesn't work either!

I guess I missed the part where their are suppose to be cords dangling out to plug into the wall, because I've been informed I took her wireless internet drive and my poor mom's been without the internet for all of twelve hours and she's just dying... so this is my mark & mercedes tribute to my mom. I'm sorry, so sorry.


Hahaha. But the thought of my mom cursing my name last night when she got home at 10:30 pm all ready to blog surf from a long night of driving home from californis is kinda funny.

3 comments:

Angie said...

That is funny, and sounds like way to many experiences with Donald trying to explain something electronic to me to count.
We saw you coming out of Deseret Book the other day, but I totally didn't recognize you until we had walked past you and were walking into the store. I kept thinking "I know her, I know her, How do I know her?" and then as we hit the sidewalk I looked at Donald and said "It's Jen!" he said, "Who? What? Huh?" so I say, "Jordan's wife, Jen. We are such snobs, we totally just walked on past!' to which he says, "You are a snob, I didn't see her or recognize her, so I am off the hook. You on the other hand are a snob." So long story, longer... Hi! Merry Christmas, Hope you got the card!

Kim Marx said...

don't forget you're just 'barrowing' it. ughh, kids. Yeah, I was pretty mad.

Sara Bingham said...

I'm going to rewind here- I just read your tree post, and laughed so hard b/c your tree looks exactly like mine. Flowers and all.Only I have a star on top, and red ribbon spiraling down the tree, and Brock has never said a word?!?!