July 5, 2012

C'mon baby.

36 weeks
I am so ready to have this little girl. Being pregnant and caring for a very active toddler is wearing me out, but she is coming sooner than later. If she doesn't make her debut before July 23rd, the doctor will take her then. But we're hoping she comes sooner.

I had my 36 week appointment this week. I'm measuring small at only 35 weeks, dilated to a two and she's face down ready to go. I've had some "talks" with my doctor about the delivery of this little girl. We've been keeping an eye on her growth and next week I'll go in for another ultrasound to measure her shoulders and arms. The fact that she's measuring small is actually somewhat a good thing. When I delivered Carson, I knew it was long, and hard, and hurt. To say I didn't have a pleasant experience would be an understatement. But at the time, and only being my first, I didn't think anything went wrong persay. I'm finding out during this pregnancy that Carson had shoulder dystocia during delivery. Basically, Carson's head was delivered, but his shoulders were too wide to pass through the birth canal and became lodged behind my pelvic bone. Something similar to this:

His head was stuck in the birth canal for nearly four hours (the industry standard is no more than two), and ultimately took manual manuvering and a vaccuum to deliver him. We were lucky, and all turned out well - which is why I'm sure I didn't exactly know what had happened. This time around, we're just keeping tabs on baby girl's measurements and if she gets too big, I may have to resort to a C-Section.

1 comment:

Kara said...

I thought you were due the 17th? Did they change the due date?