July 30, 2012

Growing Family of Four

Brynlee Saylor Shields
July 23, 2012
9:28 pm
6 lb 14 oz    19 1/2 in


Brynlee made her debut after a scheduled induction. I was exactly 39 weeks, and dialated to a 2. Dr. Paul has been watching her weight and measurements to see if I could realistically deliver her vaginally or if we'd have to go ahead with a C-Section. Since, little miss was measuring small, I got the go ahead for a regular induction. We were scheduled at Centennial Hills for 3 a.m.  It seems so early, but I wasn't sleeping much anyway so early morning it was.
39 weeks
I got all hooked up to pitocin by 4:30 and was ready to go. The night before at Sunday dinner, we all wrote down the time we thought she'd be born. For the most part, everyone guessed between 11 to 2 pm. Oh, I wish! I guess we were all just hopeful that it would go fast.


By 10am, the Dr. came in and broke my water, and luckily, I was dialated enough (like a 3) to get an epidural, which is so heaven sent. I went into noodle status again. It's so weird not being able to feel my legs but so worth it to not be in pain. By early afternoon, around 2pm  I was dialated to a 5. I was progressing so slow, but moving along non-the-less. Until, three hours later at 5pm when I was still a 5! I seriously could have cried. What the heck. The Dr. decided to take me off pitocin completely for 45 min to an hour, and start over. I felt defeated but really, what are you going to do. Once they started me back on pitocin -  oh my heck, I progressed from 5 to 8 in an hour and a half, but by then my epidural was wearing off and could feel so much of it. I was clinching Jordan's hand with tears running down my face. Bless my mom for telling the nurse I needed more epidural. Once I was at an 8, the nurse said I would be ready in 20 minutes. That was music to my ears! The end was near, or so I thought. It was about 7:30 pm and my Dr. was there, the nurse was making me push and then we stopped. The Dr. had another patient ready for delivery at a different hospital. He sat there checking his phone and debating who he was going to tend to first... and he picked her. He said he'd be back in an hour. Inside, I was devestated. I couldn't help but be bitter, he was there with me, right then, why couldn't he just stay?? But the decision was made, he wanted Brynlee to drop a little more and rather have me sit there and push forever, he told the nurse to lay me on my side and roll me every ten minutes until he got back. So for a little over an hour that's what we did every ten minutes, I rolled between my left and my right side. At the time, it was miserable. I had the chills from the medicine. I was cold, and shaking uncontrollably the entire time! It was the weirdest feeling not being able to control my hands or jaw chattering. Looking back, in the end, it really was the best decision for so many reasons. When the Dr. got back, Brynlee had come down significantly but he was still on the edge about whether I could really push her. She had enough room but her body position was sideways. So she wasn't just sliding on out. He insisted he would not use the vacuum but I layed there and begged him to help me. I knew she could come out with a little extra help. I just knew I could do it but he was being in my mind a little too cautious. He didn't want her getting stuck like Carson but the last thing I wanted was to labor all day, and do all that pushing just to end up with a C-Section. My contractions were 3-5 minutes apart, so between pushes seemed like forever. I could only get in like 3 good pushes before they ended. We were having these random conversations about my Dr.'s kids, and BYU, and who knows what-else on between. Finally, Dr. Paul took pity on me and said he would try the vacuum once, and if she didn't come, we were off for a C-Section. I layed there and prayed... I knew I could do it. He ended up trying on each push (3x), and third times a charm because she came. I couldn't have been more thrilled it was over. She was born with some bruising, swelling. the cord wrapped twice around her neck and a big laceration on the top of her head, but still as darling as ever!


You can see the laceration on her head from the delivery. It's gotten so much better since we've been home.
When they told me she only weighed 6lb 14oz, I couldn't believe it. Since Carson was way over 8lbs, I just figured she'd be around the same, even with the Dr. saying she was significantly smaller all along. She's such a doll, and I'm in love with her! Jordan is the cutest with her, so soft and sensitive. It's such a difference having a girl over a boy.
She's finally here!
Grandma Shields
Grandpa Marx

I stayed in the hospital the least amount of time as possible, so we were home by 9pm on Tuesday. I totally prefer recovering at home. I've come to the conclusion that since pregnancy is such a breeze for me, delivery is the hard part. My pelvic bone structure makes it difficult for my babies to manuvers themselves out. My stubborn children don't want to come out straight and prefer cords wrapped around some sort of limb. Go figure. Although, I feel extremely blessed that through my tramatic deliveries, my babes have both endured like champs and are the cutest little munchkins. I just love them to pieces.


We love her! Carson loves her. He is so good with her. He likes to help get diapers, pick out her outifts, and hold her. He leans in and says "muah" really loud but doesn't actually kiss her. I'm pretty sure it's because of her "owie" on her head. He tells me, "Mom! Brynlee, owie." I've tried to keep the same routines with Carson and keep attention on him too so he doesn't get jealous and so far so good. Adjusting to two kids has been fairly easy. I do have lots of extra help with my mom and the Shields, which is so nice and much appreciated!
Grandpa Shields brought Carson to the hospital in his pajamas after his church meetings. He was really excited to finally meet Baby Brynlee.
The next day Jordan brought Carson back to see his baby sister. He was so excited and giddy to hold her. It was the cutest thing ever! (Until he saw the owie on her head, and he promptly told us "Brynlee owie, all done.")

3 comments:

Janell said...

She's beautiful Jen!! Congratulations to you and Jordan. I'm sorry the delivery was rough but now you get to enjoy your sweet girl. I love the name Brynlee Saylor. Good job!!

ashley said...

adorable!! and so tiny. LOVE her name especially saylor. agggggghhha

Manda said...

She is beautiful! I hate reading peoples delivery stories because I am so scared you all are my heroes and make it seem like you forget afterword at least :).