June 26, 2009

My Rebuttal to ...

Me & The King of Pop

First, let me make it clear that Michael Jackson has some pretty fab music that I love to rock out to. I turn the music up and sing Thriller at the top of my lungs. And I’m always singing the jingle ‘A-B-C, 1-2-3, just you and me girl.’

But I had an entertaining conversation with my mom on the way home from work yesterday that apparently was just cracking her up as she was mourning the loss of a BLACK man, when I had to keep reminding her he was WHITE.

This my friends is the difference in generations:

The Mom’s generation is mourning the lose of an ICON. The amazingly talented star that took the stage and wowed so many. He was amazing. His music "is so good." And his dance moves can not be duplicated no matter how hard someone tries.

My generation knows him as the FREAK. The black man that decided he wanted to be white, that basically shrunk his nose to almost nothing, the speculation of child abuse and molestation, court trials, and drama with the equally as weird Debbie Rowe.

So yes, yesterday was a sad day. My mom was mourning the death of the black pop singer, I remember him as the white freak, and my dad was mourning the loss of the red bathing suit he hung on his wall as a teenager.

Whatever generation you choose to acknowledge MJ as living in. He was and still is the King of Pop and hopefully as the years go on will be remembered for those incredible dance moves and not the other distasteful accusations.

I'm a fan of the music.

6 comments:

ashley said...

Did he "decide" he wanted to be white? or did he have skin cancer called Vitiligo that started turning him white?
i think the second.

I love his music too and am happy to hear it all day long these past two days :)

jenn shields said...

oh ashby.. he decided.

Daniel and Litany said...

Beautifully put jenny lynn....

Beth said...

When he is resurrected...will he be black, or white?

Cardalls said...

Beth...it don't matter if you're black or white ;).

I am of your Mom's generation...got the thriller RECORD when I was 12 had posters of the black MJ on my wall. I love his old stuff, he rocks it!

The Baroness said...

I am kinda in the middle on MJ.. I remember Thriller and Bad. I loved doing the moonwalk... but I totally remember the drama from his court trials and the going white thing.