September 4, 2008

the Latest, and Greatest..

Jordan started school last week or two weeks ago, wahoo! I’m not bitter I have to wake up before him to go to work, but it is nice on Tuesdays and Thursdays when payback comes around and I’m the one making the bed because I’m the last one out [which reminds me - I spaced doing that this morning, dang it!] He’s enjoying his classes. He has this finance class about the stock market where he had to pick companies to buy and trade from with fake money. Well, it’s not completely fake. We had to spend $40 for him to join the web-o-sphere of players just for a class grade. I’m glad he’s only graded for participating and not actually winning. I came home yesterday and he told me he made $200, first thought sweet! until it was quickly following by, but I lost $800. I guess Disney wasn’t such a great pick after all.

Story:
A sister in my ward calls and asks if I can take dinner over to a family in the ward because the husband is having surgery the next day. Of course I say, sure, and continue to write down the allergies and time they have requested it be delivered.

Ten minutes later I get a call from the sister I’m taking dinner too:

Me: Hello.
Homegirl: Did I just hear the message Jenn Shields is bringing us dinner?
Me: Yes.
Homegirl: But Jenn Shields doesn’t cook?
Me: That’s right, that’s why you’re getting pizza. Do you have a preference cheese or pepperoni?

Now, I love this sister. She cracks me up! Things she says totally serious are so comical to me and she makes me smile. Only her would call just to ‘double check’ I knew how to cook. [That really wasn’t the reason she called - but to start out the conversation like that totally kept me chuckling all night long]. FYI - I am improving on my cooking skills, slowly but surely. I’ll be Chef Boyardee in no time.

Tuesday nights I have a love/hate relationship with volleyball. I hate going but love it when I’m there and am playing. It’s suppose to be Relief Society age women, but without fail every week some youngsters come, or an annoying son who wants to coach you on your skills. I’m not that great and wonderful; but obviously when my serve goes out, I hit the ball too hard. You try playing on a church size court - it takes some getting use too.

And for my second Story of the evening:
I drive up to the stake center to a truck hobbled over the rock brim surrounding the parking lot crashed into the pavement below. Ouch! That sucks. I continue inside to the ladies waiting to play some ball. We chuckle about the situation and switch the ‘glad it didn’t hit any other cars’ and ‘how did he manage to do that’ conversation. Then enters sister from enrichment night of another ward.

Homegirl: Are their any priesthood in the building?
[Note: the gentlemen teaching/there for their ward enrichment who’s car was not put in park and rolled off the edge of parking lot was the priesthood in the building for the night.]
Me: Yeah, the stake presidency, a few bishops, and the guys in the Relief Society room for institute. Why?
Homegirl: Would you mind going and getting your father-in-law?
Me: No. Are you serious?
Homegirl: Yes, we need some help. We need at least five men to pick up the truck. {totally dramatic}
Me: Well, there’s no way I’m interrupting those meetings, and besides if they are here, their in suits. I will go help you recruit guys in institute though.

I'm sure, like I most often do, I will later hear that I offended the lady. But come on get real. No I'm not looking like an idiot just for you. Call a tow truck.

Last weekend was Labor Day. We ventured up to the cabin for some R&R. Jordan was in heaven for the weekend riding around the four-wheelers and such. I on the other hand relax when I'm doing something but really nothing. So I went to Hollywood Video in Cedar and picked up the second season of Boston Legal. This isn't a show I watch regularly but do enjoy watching. So I watched plenty of episodes in my pajamas all weekend. It has some funny witty humor, and I like James Spader. I also played games. Now this is something I really enjoy. We spend the week at Lake Powell playing phase ten like no other so the fact that Terri will sit and play with me all day long is amazing! It was a short but well needed break from reality - our cell phones don't get reception there so that's even nice. On our way home we stop to eat at CostaVida and ended up walking in the same time my Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt, Uncle and cousins did. So we chit-chatted with them while we ate.

It was a fun little get-a-way!

Now back to reality, and an alarm clock. .

2 comments:

Jason & D'On Marx said...

Love the stories. I don't know if I would've said that to the ladies but I would've totally thought it. Seriously!! What was she thinking? haha

Manders & Taylor said...

Crazy truck thing. Tell it how it is. Sometimes I think I might come off as rude to my customers but I'm like there's a sign right over there! Only when there's a reason to be rude/short right? I cringe setting my alarm and then hearing it the next morning, ugh!