July 2, 2013

120 days. 531 pages.

At Stake Conference, our Stake President invited us to read the Book of Mormon together as a stake. A promise that if we did this, we would be blessed. The invitation was to read two chapters a night as a family. Not to study two chapters for outrageous amounts of time or have lengthy and deep discussions of the verses afterward, but simply read two chapters whether long or short, whether it took 5 minutes or 35 minutes, then close the book for the day.

I was excited for the opportunity. And luckily, Jordan shared the same desire as I did. We started Monday, March 4th. In the beginning we were strong, every night. Slowly, it became a joint effort to keep reminding each other we needed to read, but we never wavered and for one hundred and twenty continual days we read the Book of Mormon cover to cover together as a couple. There were times when I couldn't have told you anything about what we read and other nights I learned so much, it was hard to close the book after only two chapters. I wanted to know and learn more.

Courtesy of Carson'a master photog skills

I have been a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints my entire life. I come from a family with a solid foundation. My dad was born into the church, and my mom was converted as a teenager. I grew up going to church every Sunday, all three hours. I went to early morning seminary, earned my Young Women's Medallion and did all the things expected as a youth in the church. I wasn't perfect by any means, and my parents always stood by me in times of struggles and encouraged me to make good choices when they knew it was hard. I've watched them serve in their callings in the church selflessly and know our family was blessed because of it. They have strong testimonies of this gospel. Their example, expectations and unwavering testimonies carried me through my teen years. I'm grateful for the sacrifices they made in order to send me to EFY every summer, on the Church History Tour, and a family trip to Nauvoo. Those opportunities have helped shape the testimony I have today. I know the stories in the scriptures, I've studied scripture topics, memorized the Articles of Faith and once upon a time could re-sight scripture mastery. I love reading the Ensign. I feel fortunate that my whole life I've always had an small inc-ling deep inside that the Gospel of Jesus Christ was true. I didn't need a grand ah-ha experience to know, it just was always there. Over the last several years, as I've prayed continually and specifically, I've felt peace and comfort when needed. I have received blessings from following basic principles of the Gospel. My simple testimony has continually grown, and I believe in Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost because over and over I've felt their love and have learned how I personally feel it. So, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit through all of this I'd never actually read the Book of Mormon cover to cover. So to me, this is a BIG deal. I really did it. Something I've tried over and over again. I can't even tell you how many times I've read the first half, and the back half but never altogether, all the way through. And now I want to do it again. There is so much in there I learned, so much more to learn. It truly was written for me, now in these latter days.

I learned a lot about myself these past 4 months, most of which I'll keep to myself. But simply, I feel so happy and alive, living in the here and now. I am joyfully happy and content and feel so blessed with where we are in our lives and the little family I've help create.

I feel like a better wife. There's always room for improvement but I want to strive to be for Jordan what he has always been to me - the most positive, optimistic cheerleader in our marriage - especially during times of wonder and uncertainty. He is my better half. Reading together has strengthened and bonded our relationship in ways that's hard to explain.

I also feel like a better mom. I have always loved Carson and Brynlee more than anything. Being a mom is hard, harder than anticipated and not a job I ever felt aduaquate enough to handle. But these two have undoubtedly changed my outlook on love and life in ways I could have never imagined. I have become more patient, caring. I have a new soft and kinder voice. A deeper love and respect fills the walls of our home because of it and I have found more joy in the journey of motherhood these last few months that I am loving.
Carson's master photog skills
Reading the Book of Mormon had always seemed like this huge and impossible task to me. But this invitation showed me truly that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass. It was never overwhelming to read two chapters. It was perfect. It was a perfect way to start a routine that now has Jordan and I continuing with reading the Doctrine & Covenants each night together. It has given me many mommy paydays when Carson asks to read too. We would read three words, he'd repeat them. We'd read three more, he'd repeat them. And it'd go on until he was done and Jordan and I would continue until we finished. Our nightly routine of scripture reading has engraved an example in his mind. While we were picking out some books to read before bed, he reminded me that HE needed to read the scriptures too. I read a few verses to my 3 year old and he repeated some to me. That invitation pointed out weaknesses I have personally and spiritually and how I can strive, as President Hinckley says, "with determination to try a little harder to be a little better," in everything I do and in doing so my testimony will continue to grow in countless ways.

1 comment:

Kim Marx said...

What a nice post.