July 29, 2013

Til We Meet Again


Jordan's Grandpa Shields passed away on July 18th. It was definitely bitter-sweet, he'd been sick in the hospital for awhile. About 3 years ago, they moved to Las Vegas from Idaho so we've been able to visit and see them more often. It was nice to get to know him better. His grandpa was the shortest, sweetest man, but also a gentle spiritual giant. He loved the gospel, his family and was so proud of Jordan and his siblings.
Leslie, Ian, Terri, Pete, Trisha, Garrett, Jordan & I
His funeral brought together the entire immediate Shields family, which hasn't happened in many, many years. I met all of Jordan's five uncles &; their spouses, and some cousins, so it was good to finally put names to faces. The service was so sweet and heartfelt. I learned so much about Grandpa Wally. He was originally from Canada, and had 9 siblings.  He was an avid hockey player. He served his mission in Australia, where he met Es'mae and together they had five boys. When Pete's parents died, they took in their 5 nieces and nephews and eventually adopted Pete since he still very young. Wally was the poster child for hard-working, even until his death he still had the best looking and well-kept yard in the neighborhood.
Pete, Kenn, Guy, Grandma Shields, Kay, Paul & Jay  

We're going to miss his kind and gentle smile, laugh and undeniable love for us and our kids. He loved Carson so much (and usually called him Connor, haha). He was tickled pink when Brynlee was born. I'm so grateful for the knowledge and belief I have in the Plan of Salvation. It gives a little more peace and comfort, especially during times like these of grief and sadness.

No comments: